Dayton VA Medical Center, Ohio
The VA offers many types of health education.
All clinical staff will teach you about your health. Work with your primary care team or your mental health care manager to get answers and ideas. We want to help you plan for your health.
- Ask questions during your visit.
- Send a Secure Message to your team using MyHealtheVet
- Call your PACT staff or mental health care manager during normal business hours.
- Call the Nurse Advice Line at 1-888-838-6446 after hours and on weekends.
- Take the healtheliving assessment on MyHealtheVet to learn your “health age” and what difference a few change might make.
Online Library and Information
The VA wants you to have the information you need to make decisions. The Veterans Health Library was designed to meet the needs of Veterans and their families.
The Dayton VA offers many real-time classes. Ask your care team for more information call (937) 268-6511, Ext. 1699 for more information. Classes are offered at the main facility and at the CBOCs; some classes are offered by video-conferencing from another site. We regularly have classes for:
- Weight management – the MOVE! Program
- Symptom self-management – the Healthy U Program
- Diabetes self-management
o American Diabetes Association accredited DSME
o Group practice and support Healthy U Diabetes
o Glucose Meter class
o Heart Healthy
o Carbohydrate Counting
o Diabetes Basics
We also have many classes and groups for specific needs and health conditions. Ask your health care team about the other opportunities available at the Dayton VA.
Clinical staff begins teaching as soon as you are admitted to the facility. They are happy to answer questions about your health and your healthcare throughout your stay. Some units also give you a My Daily Plan folder at your bedside, with test results and information about your condition. The folder will be updated every day and nurses will teach you about the new material.