Home Chapel is just north of Memorial Hall. It is the first permanent chapel ever constructed by the U.S. Government. It was built using stones quarried at the Home. The cornerstone was laid November 21, 1868. Home Chapel was dedicated in 1870, and the bell tower was added shortly afterward. Once inside Home Chapel, you will notice the stained glass seal of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers behind the pulpit near the ceiling. The interior is frescoed, and the National colors are draped across the ceiling. Chaplain William Earnshaw has been our Chaplain since 1867. He has had a long illness this year, but clergymen from the community have kept up the morning and evening Sunday Services and mid-week Service. A Service is also held in Home Hospital every Sunday afternoon. Rev. Dr. Charles S. Kemper is our Catholic Chaplain. During Catholic Services, a Catholic altar is placed where the pulpit usually stands. Our German Baptist Chaplain, Rev. G. H. Gellert, has preached in the German language every second Sunday since July 1, 1884. It is important to have services in German since 2,425 of the Veterans cared for at the Central Branch in the past year were born in Germany. We cared for 1,340 Veterans who were born in Ireland. Sixty four percent of the Veterans cared for were born outside the United States.
Miss Mary J. Eaton is the teacher in the Home School. Chaplain Earnshaw is the Superintendent of the school. The subjects taught include reading, spelling, history, arithmetic, algebra, penmanship, bookkeeping, and woodcarving. There are about 70 Veterans on the roll for the Home School.